By John Lee.
Iraq’s National Investment Commission (NIC) has included four subway and metropolitan rail projects in its list of major strategic projects to be presented during the Kuwait International Conference for Iraq Reconstruction, to be held in Kuwait from 12th to 14th February:
1. Baghdad Metro
The project consist of two lines with total length of 46km. it has 47 station, two locomotive garages on both lines, and three power transferring stations.
- The first line (23km 25 station) starts from the main locomotive garage north east of Baghdad through (10*10) project location –previously, to Al Sadir city crossing Al Thawra St. heading to Baghdad center to Al Jimhoriya St. to its final destination Antar Sq.
- The second line (23km 22 stations) starts from south east of Baghdad near Aqaba Bin Nafee Sq. –Sadoon St. City center, crossing the Tigris to reach Al Faris Al Arabi Sq. forming two branches, one to Al Mansoor and the other to Al Bayaa where the second locomotive garage is located.
- The project can provide comfortable and efficient transportation services to 250 thousand passenger/h in all stations.
- Ministry of Transportation contracted a number of specialized consulting companies in the mid-seventies to conduct a study regarding Mass Transit that resulted to using tracks according to the feasible study done in 1978 (Feasibility study and Preliminary Design of an integrated Transport System within the City of Baghdad)
- A contract was signed with Sestra Co. (French), one of the specialized international companies, to conduct the initial designs and the tender documents under the title (Technical, Legal and Contractual Requirement for Baghdad Metro Project)
- The estimated cost of the project including detailed designs and execution of the two lines excluding extensions is €5.7b which is roughly $6b according to the French Co. feasible study adding to that $2b for acquisitions, total cost will be $8b. EPC document was based on turnkey delivery system.
2. Baghdad Mono Rail
A vital project with good financial revenues, prepared by French Alstom Co.
- Estimated cost: $ 1.5b
- Duration: 5 years
- Project purpose: to solve traffic jams and improve services in Baghdad.
- Phases, locations, implementation lines in Baghdad
- Phase one: 15.5 km, Kadhmiya-Al Sadir City-Shaab, with 12 internal station and crossing the Tigris
- Phase two: 4.45km, the International Station in Alawi-Utaifiya with two internal stations.
3. Mono Rail in Holy Karbala Province
This project is considered to be one of the major strategic projects in Holy Karbala Province for its importance in resolving the transportation problem of visitors coming to the Holy city. The project starts from the station Bada’at Aswadin Al-Husainiya District and going toward the Baghdad road taking the middle path of the main road toward Bab Twerej and passing through Al-Salam bridge and then through Al-Ibrahimiya station.
- Length:18 km/ dual line/ 20 passengers stations.
- Estimated cost: 450 million dollars.
4. Basra Metro
This project is considered to be one of the major strategic projects in Basra Province for its importance in resolving the transportation problem.
- The metro contains 5 main lines with 35 main and branch lines
- First line: Sa’ad square-Basra University-can be extended to the city center.
- Second line: sa’ad square-Zubair-can be extended to Safwan
- Third line: Sa’ad-Al-Ashar-Shalamja
- Fourth line: Sa’ad square-Abu Al-Khaseeb-Faw
- Fifth line: Sa’ad square-14th July street-presidential palaces.